Surely there is no exact flow of things one is to follow after installing Drupal as what is convenient to one is mostly unusual to somebody else. But, surely there are many things that may be considered as default and the closest way of gaining the achieved. Here is just such a list for your comfort:
- Become number 1! Meaning you are to create a #1 user that will be your site’s administrator. Other users such as visitors and authors are to be added later on when necessary.
- Change your new site’s header and title through admin – settings – site-information. This step requires you to be careful with your choices as this is what search engines like Google will be using to understand what your website is offering.
- Enable forts required modules like Color, Path, Menu, Contact, etc. They will assist you with primary page adjustments and customization and, of course, navigation. Modules like Statistics will allow you with seeing what your most popular content is and which pieces of the website still require much work.
- Add content categories. This is required for comfortable navigation. When content is in an appropriate category it’s easier to locate, right? Meaning posts are going into articles, videos are to have a video category, etc.
- URL’s are to be clean. This may be enabled via admin – settings – clean-urls. This is mostly done for more comfort for users as well as search engines that are preferring everything to be nice and readable.
- Afterwards you are to edit your primary links. The essentials are to be Home or Profile, etc. As they are to be accessible via content corresponding URL’s as for all your content is easily understandable. And it makes navigation easier.
- Afterwards you re do deal with such essential as Google Analytics, Captcha, Global Redirect as well as Search 404. After these modules are installed life will go a bit easier as you will possess much more relevant data on everything that may interest you than earlier. And your users will have to deal with less issues with modules like Search 404 that are tracking for appropriate content rather than displaying a broken link’s error message. But your 404’s and 403’s are to be redirected to Search 404.
And now we have gotten to the point where you are free to add more necessary users like administrators or authors. You are also free to explore personalization deeper with many available themes or you may follow other project’s requirements now, that all is set up.